Monday, April 11, 2011

Dear Schwally,

One month.
Just one more month till we meet face-to-face.
I tore open the doctor's letter eagerly knowing that inside would be the official date & time that you would enter this world. It's funny to think this decision is made for you... and done so to accommodate all people involved (not at all including you). Your sister suffered this same pre-determined fate. This "having no input" on when she'd be born. But hers was much more unsettling when it was scheduled. She had to arrive here via C-Section... yours is more a matter of convenience.
I have a feeling much of your life will be a little more at your expense than your sister's life has been... let me go ahead and apologize for that now. You will probably be dragged around when you'd rather be sitting. You will have someone whining while you are trying to nap. Your space on my lap will be split with your sister who isn't sure about letting you have all the limelight. And, you may be left to cry a little longer than your sister cause, let's be honest, there's a lot going on in this house and a lot less patience all around.
But its not all bad. You've been eavesdropping these last few months - you should be pretty well prepared for what to expect (minus the visuals).
You get your own bedroom. Yes, much of it is hand-me-downs but I assure you that you will neither notice nor care much. Once we know what it is that you like (your sister LOVES pink and anything having to do with princesses) we'll be sure to have stuff for you to have as your very own (cars? trains? dinosaurs? Maybe even super heroes... oh your daddy would be so excited!).
The weather should be beautiful when you are forced to leave your climate-controlled environment. Spring is great for sunshine, small breezes and being snuggled in a blanket. Your sister never had that - she was here in the peak of hot season... snuggling was at a minimum and did not include fluffy blankets.
You already have your first trip planned. You'll be going back to the very location where your existence even began... the beach! We'll take a family trip to the Outer Banks and we are all very hopeful that you love it as much as we all do. You've already got a little sun tent and new clothes for this special vacation... I can't wait to have you see the ocean for the very first time! Well, ok, to be fair your vision might not be the best for long-distance sight-seeing but you'll look back at photos from this trip and see it, wink!
I've been spending time with Evie getting prepared for your arrival. She is very good with babies, but, be prepared... she's going to be very jealous of the time you spend with, well, everyone. I do hope you don't take it personally. Frankly, you won't know any different (sorry about never having the experience of having mommy and daddy all to yourself like Evie's had for nearly 4 years). I'm not worried that you won't take it in stride... so far you've been pretty easy while in my belly (albeit strong!). I just want you to know that we all have a lot to learn and that you remain understanding. Mom and dad will be much more relaxed with you after having a baby in the house once before so this will be an advantage never felt by your big sister. But mom and dad never had to juggle two personalities seeking help so there may be some rough times ahead. We'll get through it.
Dad has been sharing videos with your big sister from when she was little. Its amazing to think about how much she has accomplished in 4 short years... and how long ago many of these feats seem when we watch them on screen. Your daddy and I are excited to see how you'll tackle big moments like crawling, giggling, walking, hiding, eating big people food and saying "mommy" or "daddy!" We are also going to try our best to let you do things your way, too. We pushed Evie... oh you will get pushed, too! But I am going to try and let you be your own person with no comparison to your bigger sister. Nothing makes your mommy more upset then one kid being in the shadow of another. So, let me just say for the record, I will try and let you be your own little person. I might point out how you two are different but I will let you explore your world in the fashion you like just as how your sister has decided to explore her world through music, being silly, coloring and close observations.
Your sister and I just went through her "Baby's First Month" photo album (you'll have one, too!) and I tried to explain to her that she, too, was once in my belly. She often eagerly holds my belly and yells to you, "Kick my hand, Schwally!" so she knows all about you. She didn't know that she once had the same beginning. Incidentally, she's the one who named you Schwally.
I wonder who you'll look like. Looking in that photo album of Evie when she was first born brought back a lot of memories... mostly ones filled with anxiety. I remember everyone saying she looked like your daddy and, boy, did she ever. She's really changed a lot since then so its hard for me to see Evie in that newborn face. I really wonder if you'll look like daddy... or me... or Evie! And then wonder how you'll change as you grow up. I wonder if you'll be a redhead like Evie and me... or if you and daddy will both be the brunettes in the family. I wonder if you'll have my long oval shaped head. I wonder if you'll have your dad's wide shoulders. I already know you have your daddy's feet! We actually had two more ultrasounds with you (one very recently)... and we saw your toes on the last one! So there's one mystery solved! Daddy apologizes for this... he doesn't have the best feet. :-)
I hope you hold my hand. I could just cry at how badly I want you to squeeze my fingers. Me and Evie weren't very snuggly with each other when she was little... she snuggles up now when we read books or watch shows. But, I really hope you are snuggly with me when you get here. I want you to be independent, adventurous and courageous... just not all in the first weeks, please!
I want you to know that you will be very loved. Its hard to imagine just how much but I know, after all the time we've waited for you to be here,... its going to be big.
See you in 4 weeks,
Love, mom.

No comments: