Monday, June 18, 2007

Cord Blood Donations

Well, I'm pissed off after reading through this 13-page form for cord-blood donations. I have no interest for banking our baby's blood for our private use (banks start at, roughly, $1500 and then run $200 annually to keep in the bank). But I do have a very active interest in stem cell research and bone marrow transplants and finding solutions to growing organs, curing parkinson's and ending diabetes.
But, ALAS, in the list of requirements it states that I needed to fill out the form before 35 weeks of pregnancy. I am now, 37 weeks. Ack! Yes, yes, dear readers, I could still try and get this form in the mail ... right now!... but my doctor is out at the beach all week so he wouldn't be able to fill out his part in time either. The paperwork needs to be filled out that early so they have time to process and mail back the bag the doctor needs to fill. *sigh*, I'm just so frustrated and diappointed.
I still urge all of you pregos out there, who have no interest in saving your blood, to consider this amazing opportunity to help save lives after just having created one. This blood is simply thrown away if you choose to do nothing and it is such a waste of an invaluable gift. I don't mean to sound sappy on this subject, but damned, I feel like I could have aided vital research to help make many people's lives so much richer. I really do believe in this. And it doesn't hurt, cost you anything or ask anything additional of your time.
Here's the info: Cryobanks International is one of only two banks that accepts donations mailed in from anywhere. They started as a private cord blood bank, but their current business is primarily oriented towards accepting donations.

No comments: