Saturday, November 18, 2006

Signs of pregnancy

Kids and babies cry at my very sight. No - really - they do. B & A didn't believe me this past March when I went to visit their newly born baby girl. I hold the bay... she squirms and cries. It was truly a sight. Mom's telling me to prop her up more, dad's telling me to bounce her... I felt like this horribly unnatural beast incapable of handling small humans. I felt like an idiot... like a stupid caveman (sorry Geico cavemen, I know you've come a long way). I handed her over to K (also childless) and the baby was happy & calm as could be. I think B & A felt sorry for me and came up with all kinds of excuses... I'm used to it, really I am. I just hate it when people do not believe me when I tell them that kids HATE. ME. Its OK. At least they love Rob... its cool to watch him play around.
I used to have kids swarm to me until I was about 20. I think I started giving off some sort of repellent at that time... kids began shrinking back in horror at my very sight. At the time, it was great. I was always the one playing with them but wanting to hang out with the adults. (Its stange being an only child. You're never quite a child nor an adult so you go through some awkward stages). So, their fear was my delight. Now that I'm almost 30 though, it makes you feel like something may be wrong with you. Like you are the Grinch.
But since I've become pregnant - I think I'm radiating a new energy. Kids smiling when I talk to them, actually grabbing my hand while walking and wanting to talk to me. Maybe its a pheromone they can smell. Can adults? Does anyone out there know yet?

No comments: