Sunday, January 03, 2010

Potty Training: Day 3 (Have poopie will travel)

OK, we didn't have to travel with a poopie situation at hand... but we did have fun experiences in both areas today.
Rob lemme sleep in again (two days in a row, score!,) since I had taken the brunt of at-home-child-care on Saturday. I awoke at 9:30AM after they had been up since 8AM.
Evie had a full overnight pull-up but wouldn't pee when she woke up. In fact, she hadn't pee'd by the time I got up (but daddy tried at every 15minute interval). Around 9:45AM, we had an accident. We cleaned her up and put on fresh panties. I think she just lost track while playing and I'm gonna put in an analogy here---> I think potty training is a lot like learning how to drive a stick shift car. Once you get on the highway and you cruise along for a long time w/o having to shift, you forget that you need to shift again when you get the side roads. And you, inevitably, stall. Evie seems to have her *oops's* after night-time routines and naptime routines. Its easy to understand and the pee really is never that big a mess, so we simply strip her down and clean her up. Clap, clapping of the hands, ... all done!
The potty time continued all morning long without her really needing me to remind her. I did, of course, ask often, "Do you need to go pee pee?" and she'd replay, "noo!" Soon thereafter she'd announce, "Potty mommy! Go pee-pee on potty!" and we'd meet at the potty where'd I'd help pull things down and listen for the pee's to happen. Evie did this almost all day - her announcing and me following.
Evie took a nap with a pull-up (again, we have explained we put on pull-ups during sleeps for those just in case moments and she doesn't seem to mind or fight it). The pull-up was wet when she awoke.... I know they wake them in daycare to pee but I haven't a clue how we would then get her back down again if we did choose to wake her....
The afternoon continued but this time... with a lot of farts. We asked, "You need to go poo-poo?" and Evie was mortified. Hell, I'm STILL mortified that I, as an adult, have to ask such a question over and over and over again. Its awful for all parties involved, really.
At one point I put Evie's potty behind daddy's desk (a particularly favorite pooping locale) and asked her to sit while I read her a potty time story about a little girl named Prudence that learns to go poo-poo in the potty. Evie loved the story and nodded enthusiastically before standing up and demanding I pull her pants up.
Finally, after having made taco soup for dinner (Evie had a bowl) and stepping out in the new addition with daddy, did we then notice Evie making THE FACE next to the stove. I both ran in to "catch" her in the moment and tried to be casual when I wisked her off to the big toilet. Again, mortified. she kicked and begged, "no mommy! no mommy!" Its awful. Why this kid fears going poop with extreme embarrassment is beyond me cause our household has never been one filled with secretive bathroom moments. We are a rather open household (then again, maybe our openness is what has her embarrassed, lol!).
I pulled down Evie's pants and put her on a kiddie seat that locks onto the big toilet. I think this really freaked her out, but I wasn't about to play with the plastic potty in daddy's office when she has a full (of sh*t!) diaper. She had panties on and when I pulled them down... out plopped a poop. Yes, I said it. A poop plopped itself onto the middle of the bathroom floor while I put her on the seat. I had to then put it in the toilet while taking care of her... and lets cut to the chase... the whole thing was a fiasco I would have never seen myself doing if you would have told me about this moment just 3 years ago. But, you gotta save face and act like its all totally cool when you have a totally freaked out potty-trainer on your hands.
I gave Evie 5 peanut m&m's and biggie stickers for having at least undergone the whole poopie experience (even though it was IN HER PANTS and not ON THE POTTY. I'm thinking the excitement and motivation in seeing how big the reward is for going poopie ON the potty will result in more attempts to make it for the week ahead... we will see...)
Our acroos-the-alley neighbors asked us over for a beer tonight. It was the hour before Evie's bedtime so we weren't sure what to expect... but I did pack "The Potty." I warned the neighbor we are in potty training and thank Gawd they understood (or at least they told me they did) cause here I was at the backdoor with potty, wipes, back-up clothing, stickers and m&m's all in tow).
I set-up the potty in their downstairs bathroom, showed Evie (like a dog) where the potty was and off we played! Within the hour, Evie came asking, "Potty mommy! I go pee pee!"... and off we went... off she went. Everything went great! We did this 3X's total and on the 3rd time, the neighbors 1.5year old wanted to sit on the potty with me and pretend to pee-pee. It was great!
Phew! So, I think Evie's "got it" and its just going to be a matter of time to see if this winning streak continues at the sitter's house all this week. Also, I wonder what will happen with the poop situation.... will she go in her pants or in the pull-up? But so far... I think we are batting a GREAT average and my confidence (and Evie's) abounds!

No comments: