Saturday, January 02, 2010

Potty Training: Day 2

So, today was bumpy but picked-up quick speed and ended VERY (and I do mean, VERY) smoothly!
Rob lemme sleep in today (if you can call fitfull sleeps in between a toddler shouting for the 45minutes you get to lay in bed, "sleeping in"). Rob tells me her Pull-up was very full from last night but that he threw her on her potty (still in the living room) and she went no problem first thing from waking up!
When I got up, Evie had on her Elmo-themed panties and some fleece pants. We ltried to get her to pull 'em down and just "try" but we had many adamant "no! no no!'s" in response. I think she was just kinda scattered and wild with me having just gotten up and maybe feeling like she was in control. You can't ask potty-trainers if they want to go pee... well, sometimes I do. Its all so new to her that asking is still considered a fun invitation to trying. I can see where after she realizes this is her new way of LIFE... this, having-to-stop-having-fun-to-go-pee-AGAIN routine, is really going to bite it soon. We more often choose the, "OK, its been half an hour, let's pull down the pants and try!" routine.
The morning quickly resulted in an "oops!" moment (we call them "oops's!" but always try and still congratulate her for still overall trying). Oops's do happen after all, right? No need for reminders or rubbing her nose in it... pee running down your leg is shame plenty, right? (Right, Fergie?). She had yelled out "Potty!" and sprinted the 10 foot distance to the potty in the living room, but it was too late. Those super fuzzy fleece pants soaked up all the mess (thanks Old Navy!) and her socks caught the rest. We cleaned her up while she sat on the potty. No stickers or m&m's but plenty of hugs and encouragement to not give up.
We then had a l-o-n-g dry spell and I was getting worried. I kept putting her on the potty and she got plenty frustrated with me. But I had to keep smiling and spin things, "Well, we just gotta see if there are any pee-pee's in there, ok? Remember what happens when you go pee-pee on the potty?!." She then will suddenly smile and be excited to play the game again. Evie did, after 20 minutes, suddenly yell out, "Potty!" and run to the seat for me to pull her pants down. She squatted and announced, "I did it!" It was awesome, she experienced the sensation of having to urinate ALL ON HER OWN (with no reminders), ... this is a GOOD moment!
We did put a pull-up on for naptime, and I'm glad we did, because I think it also gave her the freedom to poop. Getting kids to poop on the potty is step #2 as far as I am concerned. Pee is the first challenge, then poop, then naptime, and then bedtime. Its gotta have stages of you can make your kid feel less-than-good-enough if you try to do it all at once (as far as I am concerned!)
Evie did poop in her pull-up (she never did go yesterday) and she seriously looked humiliated and mortified. She sobbed and begged me to not check her. I had to hold her and console her before changing it. The exhaustion this kid from this small set-back did help lead to a great nap. I put another pull-up on her explaining that pull-ups are for sleeps. She fought me at first (she's starting to view them as diapers after only one day in panties!) and I had to tell her it was ok for sleeping... who knows what I'll do when we go out-and-about on the town someday in the near future...
While Evie napped - I escaped the house. Rob said the pull-up was wet when she got up but she wanted panties on and we picked up where we left off!
Evie will sometimes argue with her when we suggest "trying" but for the most part seems to understand we have her own best interests at heart. Successful pee-pee's are announced with aLOT of fanfare, "I did it!" followed by putting it in the big toilet and Evie flushes it away. We get 2 m&m's, a sticker for her shirt and a sticker on a chart I have broken down hourly. She actually LOVES seeing how many stickers appear on her chart. We computer call grandma's to show off the chart and we frequently look at it and count all the stickers...
Up tomorrow: Day 3. I feel good about it but I am beginning to get nervous with how things will go at the sitter's all week given that Evie's is the oldest and most are babies. I bought the sitter a set of stickers and a bag of m&m's (plenty to share with the other kids should they wonder why they can't get in on the action) and I'll make a chart for her to fill in, too.
More overall stance at this point --> Evie seems to be finding a lot of confidence in this, we all seem very happy & patient so far and I'm "worried" about what to do when we have to LEAVE the house.... erg, travel to the store or a friend's house will be our biggest hurdle I think.

No comments: