Friday, January 29, 2010

Polite or Liar?

Eve says ( often!) "I lika [blank]" (lika = likah... as in the word like with uh at the end, it makes anything she says absolutely adorable unintentionally).
She's already caught me off guard while yelling at her by grabbing her forehead to crinkle her eyebrows in anger... mimicking mine, "I lika your brows mommy!"
Today, first thing in the morning, Evie tugs on the ringer sleeve on my shirt to untwist it while saying, "I lika your shirt. Its really nice." I like this shirt - its hilarious that I am wearing my uncle's Tshirt from when he was in his teens... back in circa 1983! My entire family worked for Jeep and the shirt is a UAW shirt from "Solidarity Day - Local 12". Apparently they had big summer picnics where the whole family would come and join in the fun that the union provides (*snicker*).
So, the Tshirt is great vintage wear but its also nearly transparent after millions of washings. The white is about as dense as a piece of kleenex. I wore this shirt in public while in my 20's but I can't do that anymore. My point is - its really not a nice shirt.
So, the lingering question: Are we raising a polite kid or a liar?
But then again, isn't politeness often comprised of false commentary we exchange to one another to be polite? Hmmm....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.