Thursday, September 06, 2007

Back to Work - Day Three

Well, its not so bad. For me. Poor Rob.
Day 1: Baby goes to bed the night before a little late and we hit the bed by 11PM. Rob takes the 2:30/3AM feeding (which, take about an hour with feeding, burping and changing poopy diaper). Baby wakes up early than anticipated - 6AM. I get up to nurse and I'm feeling pretty good. I have plenty of time to get ready and even find 15 minutes to eat breakfast while playing with Evie so Rob can shower. I tear up with the kiss good-bye and its off I go.
Work is a lot of talking and no real work.
I go out to lunch with 2 co-workers. I leave at 5PM and don't make it home in time for the evening nursing (have to pump). Its a little hectic and Rob... looks ravaged. I do 2 loads of laundry, we eat the casserole I made the night before for just this occasion, and I clean up little messes throughout the house while Rob naps for an hour.
Evie goes down around 10:30PM or so. I offer to take the midnight shift - I have energy!
The midnight shift hits around 2:30AM and... begins well. After 4oz with no burps... she pukes ALL of it up. It rolls all down her... all over me... and we are a total mess. I have to change her (and clean her up-its all over her hair even). I strip down. I try to give her the last ounce so she at least has something in her system. I do sink laundry and leave the bathroom draped in wet, puky clothing. I get back to be by 3:45AM.

Day 2: After 2 hrs and 15 minutes, its 6AM and Evie is awake. I'm... not. I go and grab her to nurse and I am no longer energized after my night last night. Rob wakes up to join us and I move on to getting ready. I still find 15 minutes to eat a bagel while Rob showers. I head out and get to work maybe 5 minutes late.
I call Rob at noon and Evie has been up since I left. He hasn't eaten yet. The train is beginning to derail...
There's nothing to eat at home (that's convenient or fast). I leave work at 2PM to do grocery shopping. I lug it all back to the office and stuff into the corporate fridge. I eat a $1 frozen entree... I'm not even hungry.
I leave at 4:45PM hoping to make it home in time to either nurse or relieve Rob. I do neither. I get there at 5PM and there's really nothing I can do to help out. Rob sprints for the door to go to the coffee shop - sanity break. I nurse Evie a little and she is in/out fussy till 8:30PM (when Rob gives her a few more ounces). Maybe she was just hungry ALL DAY hence the non-stop fussing and no napping. I pump late but still manage to do a load of laundry (the puky clothing from the night before), vacuum the dining room, run the dishwasher and pick things up.
Evie goes down by 10:30PM and we crash not too soon after. I don't think I kissed Rob hello or good-night.
Rob takes the midnight shift since I am a bitch from no sleep and he's much better at it then me. She wakes up at 4AM.

Day 3: I lay awake at 6AM. Silence. Alarm goes off at 6:30AM. Still, silence so I hit snooze. I get up at 6:40AM to pump (why wake the baby?). Evie wakes up while I am pumping. I finish and get her up at 7AM. We eat... and poop... its 7:15AM and I have an hour to get out of this house. I wake Rob to have him finish the bottle. I never even feed this kid anymore. This, is beginning to suck. Evie lights up with dad. She smiles with me, but I think she is just being polite to this complete stranger.
I do a load of baby things for Rob. I get ready (I'm going to work with wet hair). I make a sandwhich for lunch but cmpletely forget about eating breakfast... at least I remembered to brush my teeth. There's no time for Rob to shower and I leave him in my wake as I get in my car at 8:30AM. I should be at work now.

Only 3 days for the whole routine to crumble. Not bad.

No comments: