Sunday, March 18, 2007

Just a few months

Nothing particularly exciting or insightful to post today. I did want to make a note of an observation I've made.
We attended a St. Patty's Day party last night (yes, I drank O'Doul's. Its not bad, honest. But - it did have the born-on date of Aug 12th and it was recommended that it be enjoyed within 110 days. I enjoyed it over 210 days later. A little skunky...). the party was an outdoor bonfire slash garage party. No one there had kids let alone ever experienced pregnancy before (well, what the hell do I know - maybe someone there had a kid at some point in their life, but they certainly did not have a kid at home today). My size aside, when people hear that I'm due in July (4 months from now) they say, "Wow, not much longer!" And, its funny cause everyone I work with has kids and they all say, "Its just getting started!"
Its funny how perspectives change once you've experieniced this.
Before I ever got pregnant - 9 months seemed like a lifetime. Its essentially a year of drinking, traveling, late nights, partying, and skinniness all thrown out the window for one full year. But, if I ever met someone at 5/6 months pregnant, I always made comments like, "Wow! Home stretch! Soon, huh?"
Now that I am halfway through it, I must admit time has flown by this first half.
In regards to the time ahead, I think there is something to be said about the last half of pregnancy slowing down time as we know it. EVERYONE I know drags the last 6-4 weeks. Days pass like hours. You might as well sit on the toilet without every leaving cause you're just going to have to pee again as soon as you pull up your pants. You might as well throw out any plans about "resting up before baby" cause you can't get comfortable. You can't breathe. You ache. And to top it all off, you are swollen from water retention. *sigh* I fear the road ahead.
So, I think its funny that non-baby people think the last bit of pregnancy means its all wrapping up (which, makes sense that you think that cause time does go faster one week before Christmas or before your wedding or before anything huge you've spent time preparing for). And that, people with kids, know that time tends to s-l-o-w down the further along you get. Probably because nature wants to prepare you for a lifetime of patience ahead.

No comments: