Thursday, March 01, 2007

Hand-me-downs

The world of maternity hand-me-downs is an amazing one. No woman truly "gets it" until she is pregnant and people throw clothing at her. Its amazing. It reminds me of some college friends who would buy so many clothes that they could afford to purge and pass on while it still was in style.
You have to understand - I still wore jeans from college until about a year ago (I have now finally gotten to fat for them. And no, it wasn't due to pregnancy). I never buy clothing. I LOVE to, there's just been so many other things in life that we needed or wanted. Clothing went on the wayside. I truly think you've reached the pinnacle of adulthood when you realize how fantastically out-of-touch you've become with the latest fashion trends.... and you don't really even care.
So, back to prego clothing. I have already said that C gave me a bag of her hand-me-downs. The "bag of denial" I lovingly called it. I've actually begun to take a dip in that bag in the last 2 weeks. I think I am, as of this week, exclusively into maternity clothing now. There's no going back-n-forth for this belly, not anymore.
I've also posted that I have purchased 5 pants, a skirt and various tops from Old Navy, The Gap and, ah yes, Gabriel Brothers.
But yesterday was the MOTHERLOAD. Thank you, thank you, thank you to A for her amazing box of never-ending cotton fiber blends. A moving box filled with trash bags... all... maternity.
After rummaging through every article, I settled on 2 trashbags for myself. Did you read that sentence? I settled on TWO TRASHBAGS filled with clothes! Ha! I actually left behind a third bag (all too large or out of season).
While discussing how I will need to purchase plastic bins to store all my old clothing, in order to make room for all of this new stuff, Rob made a great comment. He nailed it, "I think its so cool - this maternity network - where all of you share and keep the stuff moving around. It makes it so you can all save your money for what's important and fun in the end - the kid."
What more can I say?

No comments: