Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Honoring my pregnancy

So our yoga instructor asked us a long time ago, "How are you honoring your pregnancy?" You know you aren't when you don't even understand the question. I thought she meant, "What are you doing to capture this moment in time?" Which, I guess one could take it to mean just that. For example, I'm blogging about it, taking photos every 4 weeks, etc.
But, what she meant was,"What are you doing to honor your pregnant self?"
Answer - nada.
I haven't done anything to truly "treat myself." Many of us weren't treating ourselves, which, to me, is the very essence of motherhood.... too damned preoccupied with everyone else and their needs that you sacrifice yourself. Now, you're MY mother when you then turn it all around to martyrdom, but that's another story for another day.
I had decided a long time ago that I'd get monthly pedicures when I'm pregnant. You can't see your feet (or reach them) and why the hell not - its fantastic. So, this past Sunday - I did just that.
K and I went to a new spa in Carytown (Fusion - its great) and had a fun time. I reached the 5-month marker the follwing day so I should be able to do this 4 more times before baby gets here. And hell, why not treat myself for doing such a good job during labor one month after that? Why should the honoring end with the pregnancy?
;-)

No comments: