Monday, December 11, 2006

Maternity wear

Maternitees.
Motherhood.
Planet Motherhood (with a stork circling the globe as the logo).
Crave Wear.
Bb.
Zero to Nine.

All of them... atrocious. Each shirt simply says to the viewer, "I'm pregnant and no longer give a shit. About... anything."
What the hell. Maybe its the fact that I'm not really showing yet & I'm still trapped in the mentality of wanting to buy cool, fun clothing that looks great now. Maybe I'm in denial of the fact that I will have a belly so big that I soon need to say good-bye to my feet, my knees and seeing my crotch till next year. Maybe I can't get over the fact that I need to spend $30 on something I'll wear for 3 weeks before outgrowing it and moving into the next stage. Maybe its that all these shirts look like parkas. Burkas. Small teepees to shelter a great white belly. I don't have a problem wearing long, slim shirts that show it off. In fact, didn't we all see people like Rachel on "Friends" doing this very look in the 21st century? Can't pregnancy be cute? Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong place. I was, afterall, an hour-and-a-half deep in Gabriel Brothers - a discount shithole located near Kent State University. The quality is cheap, the staff unintelligible and the lighting grating. But, I also wanted to stock up on "basics" and thought this would be a great place to start. Instead, I stood horrified at Rob's parents house.
I had bought a bunch of clothes to try on in the privacy of my own home. I am not really ready for house dresses, so I needed to be in a comfortable environment to gently sob myself into shirt after shirt. One was salmon colored (why did I pick this up?) and featured pouffy capped sleeves. Rob looked at me, "Those are kind of cute (tugging on the shoulders). The sleeves with the little poof." The man has already learned. I gave him a hateful sideways glance and he bounced into, "Yeah, maybe not so much."
Me, "I look like Laura Ingalls."
Rob, "Yeah, take that back." And we laughed.
I'm still wearing t-shirts and sweaters that were already too short in the waist a year ago (my clothes are so out of style. After getting married and getting a house - one really does tend to let their fashion sense go in exchange for nice furniture and nicer meals). Hopefully, I can milk all of this just right so I never need to be told its time to switch over and, hopefully, when I must switch over, I can wear crop pants and t-shirts galore. These baggy-butt pants and cape-like sweaters are just not cutting it for me.

No comments: