Monday, February 16, 2009

A parental rite of passage: the midnite run to ER

Evie dozes on me for a morning nap
Well, Evie's "cold" has become so worse - she is now inconsolable.
So was the scene at 1AM last night (Sunday night).
Evie's had a runny nose and "wet" cough for well over 10 days now and only recently (Tuesday and Wednesday nights) did it become dry. Those nights her cough was that sudden, relentless coughing spasm that sends you upright in bed gasping for air only to cough more. It was terrible. She's cry and we'd race. She's rub her eyes and we'd lay her back down. On Thursday we discussed taking her to the doctor Friday if things were still bad.
Of course! thursday night wasn't AS bad so she stayed home all day Friday. When I got home from work, I noticed she had a slight fever (100.1) and Rob said she had been cranky since her nap. Uh-oh.
Friday night was a little rough but we had also become use to rough from this entire past week.
Saturday morning, Evie just looks and seems sick. You must understand one thing - this kid is totally her father's daughter. When she is sick, you can tell but she otherwise tries to continue to act normal. When I'm sick, everybody run for your lives! I want attention, coddling and more attention still.
Back to Saturday morning.
I call the pediatrician at home who thinks it may be RSV (a baby upper-respiratory) as an over-the-phone diagnosis. I inquire about going to an ER or some emergency kid clinic. She recommends one but it doesn't open until 2PM.
By 2PM, Evie seems fine... sick but maybe I'm over-reacting. OK, here's my other sidenote. Rob's really more of the one questioning my over-reaction at this point. I mean, really, ER? She doesn't seem THAT sick but I'm telling you... my mom instincts were up and waiting till Monday could be really bad. In the end, I never went.
Saturday night is... OK. Sunday is OK and we even spend an hour and a half out front playing on the sidewalk.
Sunday night, Evie goes to bed no problem. By 11PM, she's up crying. I console her and leave. She cries again. I go in the room and she stops, so I leave. She cries again, I go in and she stops. She is actually there with eyes closed. Is she faking? I'm a little annoyed and leave. She cries again so I rock her until she falls asleep. I lay her down, she cries. This continues for quite awhile until all are in bed by midnight.
At 1AM, she is UP. Crying. Hysterically. Again, a note - hysterically for all kids is quite bad. This was an Evie hysterical.. much milder than the average tantrum throwing brats you may have witnessed. Evie is REALLY a great trooper when sick so when she cries without stopping.... sticking a spitty hand in her mouth... you know it is the REAL DEAL.
We are getting a little stressed and frankly, pissed at this point. Without knowing what to do, we pull her into bed with us. Terrible idea. She trashes and cries every 10 minutes until its now 2AM.
I tell Rob its time to go to the ER. We obviously are NEVER SLEEPING EVER AGAIN so we might as well get up and hang-out with all the insomniacs and severely sick while we are at it.
We get to the ER (its nearly dead, a good sign that things will move quickly).
Some fumbling for insurance goes on (again, I have only been at my new job for 2 weeks and have no insurance cards yet).
Evie goes through a series of crying spells after each poke & prod... rectal temp (nothing), ear check (nothing), throat swab (no flu or strep throat) and finally, a chest x-ray.
Turns out, bronchitis.
It was nice to have an answer and to justify our midnight run. It was nice to not spend the night resenting Evie for crying & wailing. It was nice to know that it was solvable and maybe now, we could all get some sleep.
One Yo Gabba Gabba CD & Walgreens prescription fill later, we were all home and in bed t 4:40AM.
I am happy to report that after a very listless morning (Evie snoozed on me for 45 minutes! she NEVER falls asleep on people!), she ran laps all around the house before going to bed SOUNDLY.
Phew.

No comments: