Saturday, April 19, 2008

The great Thirteen-Acres Spring Yard Sale


This thing is rather huge. Its held on the school grounds of both Holton Elementary and Thirteen-Acres Elementary (they butt up against each other, its an odd set-up). The proceeds go to benefit Thirteen-Acres Elementary but it is so huge that it spills over. If you haven't visited us yet, you'll know that we live 3 houses away from all of this so its an easy event to attend!
Last year I trolled for hours but this year (with kid in tow) it was more like an hour.
I don't think it was nearly as grand this year - lots of space to move around (funny complaint, I'm well aware).
But, I did manage to find a few "needs". I bought 2 books in good shape (many were dog-eared or over priced) for $2. I bought an odd assortment of wood blocks for 50¢. A pair of never-used pink size 9 girls boots (I'm thinking winter in Ohio in 2009?) for $3. An old V-Tech push along with computerized talkie buttons for $5 (the sounds it makes are awful. I might take my new batteries back out! Evie will never care). And finally, the pinnacle, a ginormous plastic playschool dollhouse for $15. The dollhouse really needs a scrubbing and I might spend time affixing new "wallpaper" on its walls someday... but I thought it was worth a shot.
So, all-in-all... $25.50.
Not bad for some shit that can all become new baby favorites or someday sold on craigslist to a kid who will use them, again.

2 comments:

Jay Geldhof said...

I'm a HUGE fan of those old GOLDEN NATURE GUIDE books! I still have a few from when I was a kid. The illustrations are just so much cooler than all the "Eyewitness" type photos you get these days.

Brooke Ullman said...

Me, too! I have the bug book and bird book in the attic for when she is older (both from my personal collection). I never had this "Guide to the Stars" book so I had to have it...