Monday, April 21, 2008

Baby's First Ear Infection

Evie's been "snotty" for at least a week but nothing too out-of-control.
But, starting Friday night, she had a little less-than restful sleep.
Saturday night was filled with continuous "wah-wah's" that would stop the moment we'd check on her (only to find her amidst a very large pool of drool).
Sunday night was coughs interjected with cries. After picking her up out of bed, listless, around 9:30PM, I told Rob we should call the doctor in the morning.
Monday morning I phoned in and they said to bring her in. I felt a little over-reacionary (I mean, its just a cold... its not like she is running a fever or acting funny during the day. Although, she hasn't really been eating the last 2 days...).
A co-worker recently told me about his friend who's 11-month-old died of pneumonia this year (why do people tell you these things?!.). Apparently mom & dad brought the kid in to the doctor, it was a slow moving sickness that acted like a common cold. The baby was dead within 3 days when its organs shut-down. Nothing they could do. You'd have to put me on suicide watch if that ever happened to me. Suicide watch for at least a full year.
Back to my story, Evie has an ear infection. The husband tells me she (doctor) looked in the one ear and he stopped listening after that (he assumed if you have one infection than that means a double ear infection so who knows what Evie really has). The doctor did say this, she's handling it better than most kids would so, at least our babe's a trooper...

No comments: