Saturday, December 04, 2010

A Visit with Santa Claus: "I won't cry, mommy."

So, Evie's been really terrible with this whole on/off shyness she has. I get it, I'm not trying to coax a shy girl into horribly uncomfortable settings... but its when she goes to place like 12 times and still place the mute-new-girl routine that I get a little annoyed. For example: our once-a-week visit to 'The Little Gym' for a class filled with fun music, fellow 3yr olds and padded gym equipment begins with her eagerly getting in the car & singing songs. Once we enter the building, she wants to be held, can't speak or will only participate if a teacher takes her hand and pulls her along. I wouldn't do it if she didn't then tell me how awesome it all was once we get in the car to go home!

Evie also prided herself on not speaking. She didn't speak to her pre-school teacher for 2 whole months. It was awful. We had talks with her and even spoke with other care givers about recommendations. We remained open& honest and tried everything to get her to talk to her. We eventually got letters home from school. She was even starting to get time-outs for refusing to ask for what she wanted (she'd just point and moan!). Ugh.
Somehow, magically, she finally "accidentally" talked to her teacher and it has continued to get better in recent weeks. I shake my head at all of this. Stage or no stage... its getting to be a bit of a problem if she can boldly talk to anyone while in line at the grocery store or anyone who comes over to our house... but can't feel comfortable in a school or in a fun activity filled with kids her age.

OK, so that's the back story.
Today we went to see Santa Claus.
I told Evie last night that we were going to see Santa... hoping the warning would help diffuse any meltdowns the next day. It seemed to work when she told me point blank, " I won't cry, mommy. *whispers in my face* I'm going to talk to Santa!" Cool, I thought.

Evie was excited to put on her dress and tights to go to the mall. So excited, in fact, that she farted while sitting in my lap.
(ah, kids).
I asked, "Do you need to go poo-poo?"
Response, "No."
Rebuttal, "You better go poo-poo now... cause if you fart on Santa's lap... you'll get nothing. Santa won't be happy. *Pause* You better go now."
Momentary contemplation at this, "O.K. [pulls her self up off my lap] I'll go." Off she heads to the bathroom grumbling.
I love how kids can just choose to perform such biological functions when/if they want.

Fast-forward to the car ride.
She told us in the car how she was going to ask for not one but TWO Pillow Pets and how she wanted a new toothbrush (I hope the wish list stays this cheap and short next year). She walked on up to the mall entrance and gasped at the trees in some windows. Then she looked down the hallway and froze up. No idea why... we were no where NEAR Santa yet. Dad carried her to the escalator... there he was down below us... next to a huge snow globe in which we would soon stand waiting in line...

I walked us around the Santaland display and rushed to get in line. The theme was "Polar Express" complete with a fake train car we could stand in (pull levers, a pull whistle and a TV screen of the scenic outdoors passing by) and a snow globe that actually snowed on our heads while we watched snippets of the cartoon movie. It was all very cool. Evie, however, was not. She literally laid in Rob's arms with her arms and legs dangling like a limp body. People in line commented how cute it was she had fallen asleep. She wasn't asleep... she was playing dead. She should know that this trick no longer phases us. Instead we propped her up against the setting as if she were a plastic doll with pose able arms and legs. She rewarded our endeavors with a pitiful sulk... ah, yes, memories!

Finally the big moment was here! We committed to a ridiculous photo package and away she was whisked!
Evie stood clutching Moo-Cow's head against her nose. No tears yet... I waited for it and held my breath.
Santa told her she could stand in front of him if she wanted... she eagerly accepted this resolution and faced the camera.
*click!*
I told her to quickly tell him what she wanted and she stared out my mouth while I spoke. "Tell Santa... that you want.... a... (feeding her the lines isn't working but you could tell she was hoping I would get this part right).... pillow pet for Christmas."
She looed at him and silently nodded.
Santa guessed, "Which one? The.... unicorn?"
Evie nodded.
I think Santa could have said 'tarantula?' and she would have nodded.
I took her hand and off we walked.

We picked up our photos, perused one store and walked to the mall exit. We were off to get lunch next.
We stopped to put on Evie's coat. She looked up at us... it was as if an invisible line had been crossed and now she could speak..., "And I didn't fart on Santa!"

No comments: