Monday, October 11, 2010

Carter Mtn: Apple Picking

I haven't been apple picking since high school when we drove up to Wisconsin (I'm from Chicago). It was always cold and cloudy this time of year back home... not here! Carter Mtn was 89˚ and SUNNY!
The orchards that they just opened were Granny Smith and Fugi. I was hoping for some Braeburns for a pie receipe I have... but I am sure we'll figure it out with the 13lbs of apples we succeeded in picking!
We arrived at 11AM (about and hour and a half drive) and stayed till 2PM. We had a fantastic time. Evie didn't whine (as much as usual) and even succeeded in walking most of the time (with a few piggy backs from me and Rob). She ate 2 Granny Smiths and 1 Fugi apple before wrapping up the day with half an apple donut.
All in all... a truly. great. day.


Walking up the dusty path to the main building.


Here we are!



The place is free to park and attend. When the guy handed me apple picking bags he said, "You can eat them out there, why not. Who knows. But we just ask that you pay for your apples when you leave." It was so open, it was great & carefree.

Evie gets a boost or two from dad to reach the high up ones. She got the twist down real quick!




Evie was excited to fill the bags. We had to talk her out of gathering ones off the ground at first... a few soggy ones and she understood.




Evie enjoys a Granny Smith.



Enjoying a few bites together.

Someone offered to take our picture. So glad they did. The views were spectacular and 360˚ around us.

I make Evie stop for a picture with the other side of the mountain behind me. We're en route for the Fugis... the walk turned out to be a little far...

I was surprised she actually got into eating the apples. She hasn't eaten many lately and I thought she'd hate the skins. I was pleasantly wrong... she'd eat off the skin (well, gnaw, really) and be done with it by the time she succeeded in accessing the sweet white fruit inside!


Break time with a Fugi apple.


Evie was a champ at running down hills. Walking up them... not so much.


I can't believe she was hungry for a donut after all those apples. Donuts were great! Its their special "apple donuts" they make...


Evie RAN to this sign and eagerly walked up the ladder yelling, "I'm a callapillar!"

No comments: