Monday, October 08, 2007

New things to see and do everyday...

Big week for you.
You have begun using your hands more - you aren't quite intentionally grabbing things but you do grab my finger more actively, grab my hair or necklace, and wave your arms out away from your body before bringing your hands to center again. You are developing more controlled movements.
You also have discovered your toes and actually grabbed my thigh again & again with your long monkey toes while we were laying on the bed. You then tap, tap, tap your toes and commence toe-grabbing again. Its all really funny and this is clearly intentional... which is exciting.
You focused all your energy & might on kicking the hanging rattle/block that hangs from your bouncy seat. Dad and I both marvelled at how you are concentrating to make things happen when, before, it was all uncoordinated flailing and wild, jerky movements. Seeing your brain work is pretty fascinating. Its nice to see the human being in you emerge.
Your facial expressions are changing, too. The range is growing. You have started to wave your eyebrows (clearly, a trait inherited from your mother). You furrow your brow when I put you in the bathtub (What-the-hell-is-this? expression), you also furrow your brow when I make a confusing/silly face (What-are-you-doing? expression), and then your eyebrows fly up your forehead when you are thrilled (yippee! expression). You are concentrating, thinking and processing... all of which is finally being reflected in your face.
Its so nice to begin to see more of what makes Evie, Evie. Who is she and how does she think? What does she like and how does she respond to the things she doesn't like. What does she want and how will she take it.
The more and more you do the more I am amazed at human biology. Just 1 year ago you were a zygote and look at you now.

This past weekend Natalie was in town from Chicago. She finally had the chance to meet you face-to-face. It scares me to think that you are closer to the age when Natalie and I met.... than I am! We met in the 3rd grade and that's not too far in your distant future. Yikes! This thought makes me feel old. Old because my mother was old when I was in the 3rd grade. I still feel so immature my ownself. I keep waiting to wake up and have that feeling of confidence, "I know what I am doing today and how to take care of things." And yet everyday is still the clueless adventure it was the day before...
I hope I stay "cool" and in-tune with your needs when you are a kid. I hope I always "understand" and "get" you.
I hope you make cool lifelong friends when you go to school.

No comments: