Friday, October 19, 2007

LOL

Evie laughed out loud for the first time last weekend. Unfortunately, I couldn't blog about it when it happened because Rob was out-of-town and when you are playing single parent for the weekend... blogging doesn't make the top 20 list of things I'd like to do during baby's downtime.
I did try to capture it on video. But, alas, Evie got the dreaded digital camera stage-fright and resorted to her *grunt*, *grunt*, huh-huh-uh sounds when the camera was rolling. Don't get me wrong. The grunting "wiggle-wiggle-wiggle" sessions are also outstandingly entertaining (we grab her belly one-handed and exclaim "wiggle! wiggle! wiggle" which Evie grins over endlessly). I did manage to capture this on video during my feeble attempts to get her to squel and laugh like I now know she can do. but, here too is the rub, my camera won't download this video for some reason. *sigh*
There is PLENTY of laughter in the road ahead so I just need to sit back and relax. I'll hear it again.
Hearing baby laugh out loud for the first time is electrifying. The absolute delight that hits you both at that moment - is a feeling you do not expect. Sure, everyone knows it will be cool to see/hear/witness baby's firsts yada-yada... but when you've been changing diapers, feeding, burping and carrying around a baby for 3 months (basically, WORKING) and you are suddenly rewarded with a sound that you've never heard before and that baby has never heard herself make before.... WOW. Evie and I both stopped what we were doing (I was changing her and singing a made-up, goofy song while she wiggled) and the room fell silent. I think she scared herself and I was just dumb-struck. I returned the same high pitched sound so she knew it was an OK sound to make (and to, PLEASE, do it again!).... she returned back with an excitement at her new sound.
And, ... then that was it.
We've been close at hitting this squel again throughout this week but its more a high-pitched coo that sounds like "hi! hi! hello!" Which, is just as cool because this is one more sound that will lead to her saying "mama!" someday. And man, won't THAT be cool?

No comments: