Saturday, November 26, 2011

Road-trip Conversation with Evie

Evie has not been listening to me (asking questions again just moments after I've answered her, as well as, not responding to me when saying/shrieking/grumbling-through-gritted-teeth/commanding/yelling her name). She also zones out when doing an activity.

In the car, about 3hrs in an 8/9hr road-trip home from spending Thanksgiving in Ohio:

Me:"Can you hear it?" I ask about the DVD player behind Rob's headrest.
Evie, responding: "I'm an idiot?"

*later*
Evie:"Mom?"
Me: "Yeah."
Evie: "When are we going to be in another state?"
(Backstory: I've already answered this one by showing her on her watch and telling her it will be dark and telling her she'll be fast asleep and telling her time-based comparisons... Basically, we've covered this)
Me: "its going to be awhile, babe. It's going to be long after your movie ends (I look and see she is clearly not listening with open-mouth blank stare so I start BS'ing). Monkeys will fly out of your butt before we get to Maryland... And unicorns will fly across (I look in the backseat to see if there is any change in her reaction)the sky..."
Evie: Cross stare with frowny face. It's evident she is listening. Win one for me. I didn't hear this question again on the ride.

No comments: