Monday, November 10, 2008

Weekend Got-Away

This past Saturday night was the FIRST NIGHT I HAVE SPENT AWAY FROM EVIE. Yes, that's right. You heard me. I have never left Evie for this long. Ever.
I haven't a clue why I haven't left her for an overnight sooner. Honestly, I am not one of those weepy cannot-be-separated-from-my-offspring type of moms. Somehow, time magically swept away and suddenly here she is 16 months old and here I am in DESPERATE NEED TO GET AWAY!
I scooted out of the house at 9:30AM en route to DC to spend my first night away with Miss A. I was in such a flurry to escape the house that I completely forgot to pack underwear. Oh well. Who needs it anyway, right A? Inside joke, anyhoo, back to my weekend.
I got there in a record 2 hours, in time to enjoy lunch at Capitol City Brew with A, friends and her family. I was thrilled to discover that this is the place that microbrews Amber Waves Ale... a beer I happened upon years ago at a beerfest.
We then scooted on over to the Capitol for a new tour. The visitor center is recently built & the tour was free... so we went. I'm unhappy to report the the tour wasn't nearly as in-depth as the one I got YEARS ago by A's father (he works within the government in some capacity) but I am thrilled to report he got us into a few places not on the tour, wink. Pulling connection, puling connections.

A and I then headed to the Green Festival at the Convention Center because we weren't quite exhausted enough yet. A few hours there did the trick.
We decided to do a pick-up dinner. I got the crab cakes and mashed potatoes - DELISH! We gabbed until 11PM and then lights went out.
Saturday morning included coffee, facials and a walk to The Heights for their morning brunch. An egg, swiss & bacon croissant later, I was en route home again (around noon).
I pass by IKEA on my way home so I HAD TO STOP IN. I kept myself under control and under $100 (both a rarity inside IKEA). A BARNSLIG for D's baby shower. A DUKTIG for Evie's table + chairs set in the next year or two. A FABLER MAUS, a moose and lion hand puppet, a litle red bag in which to tote her collectables, and more KALAS. I've decided to get multiple cheap things for Evie this Christmas because, frankly, she doesn't care what she gets and may have more fun in the paper tearing alone. ;-)
I also bought this cool TRIVSAM bowl for my mom for Christmas... yeah, getting things done is such a nice thing.
After 2 hours at IKEA, I scooted home and arrived during a late day naptime. I put everything away and finished in time to get things together for D's babyshower (which I took Evie too with me. After not seeing her all weekend long, I just had to!). We stayed later than planned and Evie went to bed an hour late. She was a champ - no fussiness at all despite the staying up late!
Pajamie-time a half hour later and my weekend was complete. Success and fun had all around!

No comments: