Sunday, August 10, 2008

She walks!


Today we attended the Carytown Watermelon Festival. I have wanted to go in years past but either forgot about it, it's too hot or we are out-of-town. This year, we attended. At the festival, you can buy a substantial bowl of cut-up watermelon for only a $1 while perusing the overflowing Cary Avenue complete with street vendors, foods on a stick and kids playing make-shift instruments for hand-outs. In a word - awesome (OK, 2 words: CROWDED and awesome). It was a nice day to be had here in the South (read: lower humidity than its been for the last 4 weeks), so everyone was out.
All-in-all, the whole weekend's been a blast.
Friday night I crashed out at a decent hour after watching the opening of the Olympics (while dining on Chinese take-out & drinking an icy Tsingtao). OMG, the Chinese are going to take over the world - did anyone else watch the opening night with their jaw on the floor the whole time?
Saturday morning I set the alarm (a first-time for everything) to get up & out-the-door by 8AM. Evie and I attended the Forest Hill Farmer's Market. It was... awesome. The weather was so nice, I WORE PANTS! Seriously, that's a fantastic morning to be had in August in the South. I wore white pants and a bright orange Tshirt pushing Evie around in her super-cute purple polka-dot top & lime-green striped pants (thanks for the outfit again, D!). We bought fresh organic tomatoes, rasberries, a mixed bag of leafy green lettuce, 2 kinds of bread loaves (black olive and cracked pepper), some biscotti to share over tea with Rob this fall, hand-made spinach ravioli... and 1 green hairbow for Evie. I love schitt like this, I felt so urban moderna, it was great. People were everywhere with dogs... sipping fancy coffee from this vendor who was grinding beans. It was yuppie-granola. I can't wait to drag along more gal-pals next weekend.
Saturday morning rolled into early afternoon spent at the grocery store with Miss Evie in tow. We both came home to some lunch followed by very long & well deserved naps (both of us!). Saturday evening we had pork tenderloin & fresh green beans.... dad and I then moved ourselves out to the patio to enjoy post-dinner cocktails in the, again, cool outdoor air. I ended up sitting out front for awhile before heading inside and ultimately crashing out around 9:30PM!
Sunday, today, we lingered in the morning before getting Evie roused for the Watermelon Festival. We wondered for 2 hours before deciding to head home (it was rather warm with the sun beating down on us). Evie and dad napped while I got my car cleaned (I think its a first for 2008). I then bought more wine & beer. I made 2lbs of meatballs and rasberry iced tea before everyone was up again. K & E came over to share some late day drinks before dinner...
...and that's when it happened...
Evie WALKED out of my arms toward the coffee table to get her sippy cup of milk. I really thought this moment was going to be more of a moment like there would be a drum roll and an audience holding their breath... Nope. She just ever so casually tottered on over taking about 4 steps in the process. I ran to the porch and rapped on the window for Rob to come inside and see. I pulled her back and let go again. After a few failed attempts (she kept going limp wanting to crawl), she did it again!
WOW!
What a fantastic weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

RasPberry.

Robert Ullman said...

DiCk.