Saturday, December 29, 2007

Out To Lunch


Since returning from our long trip to Ohio for the holidays (more on that post, later) we have enjoyed 3 days off before I return to work.
We drove home from 5:30PM - 12:40AM Thursday night (don't ask me HOW we made the drive that quickly, even we were amazed albeit tired). We woke up with Evie at 7:30AM the next day. Well, I did, anyway. I spent the day doing laundry, scrubbing the kitchen floor on my hands & knees (we had a dog sitter stop by to let the dogs out and I don't think they wiped their paws nearly as thoroughly as I would so the house was horribly muddy... it was truly rather gross), etc etc.
On Saturday, I decided to take a break and suggested a lunch out with the family.
We went to "Zuppa," a great soup/sandwich place in Shockoe Bottom. This was the first time we decided to carry Evie and put her in the high chair without her car seat. We were excited! Finally, no more lugging around that heavy carseat with a heavy kid in it. Those things are so unyielding its like carrying a bundle of logs away from your body.
The first 10 minutes were great. The next 5 were fleeting and then the last 15 were spent on my lap or dad's lap while we took turns eating. I'm realizing at this point, the car seat provided a good napping location for a fussy baby. Oh, well.

And now for the rest of the story... Evie woke up CRYING (not really wailing, but clearly NOT HAPPY) at 9:30PM with a fever of 101.4.
She had acted odd all day with low attention spans, non-existant naps and very little appetite. I wasn't sure if it was a cold coming on (either from baby F trying to kiss the baby with two steady streams of snot cascading onto her pouty lips or visiting my sick grandmother in the hospital where the pacifier made multiple spills onto the germ ridden surfaces, who knows. We were surrounded by colds the last few days while in Ohio) or maybe a tooth coming in.
We gave her a 4 oz bottle since she hadn't eaten dinner, some tylenol, many hugs & belly rubs while rocking her and a change before going down again. I felt like shit. I now truly understand what my mom always meant when she told me as a little girl, "I wish I could take the pain away for you."
*sigh*
Sunday, December 30: I am happy to report she is bouncing back after a decent night's sleep and has been fever free.

2 comments:

Jessica J said...

dude,

i hope my baby didn't make your baby sick. i did try to keep frances's drooly lips and snotty nose away from evie.

glad she's on the mend.

xoxox,
jj

Brooke Ullman said...

Everyone was sick the last few days we were making our visiting rounds. When you've never really been sick before - you are literally a sponge absorbing anything out there.
Frances was just the best one to describe!