Saturday, May 05, 2012

Notes (Evie's attempt at writing)

While I had both kids by myself this weekend, we had some tense moments. During on of these moments Evie decided to play by herself (which, was a smart idea). She grabbed a baby board book about farm animals and copied the words that she saw. She excitedly showed me what she had written and asked what it said. She did pretty well and was quite proud.

The next day, after a very tense moment of me juggling feeding Max along with bringing in groceries... Evie asked from the other room:
"How do you spell 'stinky'?"
"Is it a note for me?"
"Yeah."
"What does it say?"
"You are stinky."
I rolled my eyes and spelled it. I told her that it wasn't nice either.
Evie picked-up on the fact that it was probably not wise to write me hate mail so, she edited the note. She then handed it to me for me to read:
You have stinky diapers, Max
She giggled, grabbed the paper and added to it.
"How do you spell 'poop'?" I told her the answer. "How do you spell 'and'?" I told her the answer.
The note came back:
With poop in it and pee
Evie thought this was a riot. Frankly, the fact that I could read it was a riot... particularly the words " in it" being spelled "nint".

Evie has a third sentence on her but I can't recall what it was, I'll ask and post an update.
**Update: I asked Evie and she informs me that, because I told her to "write something nice" she then wrote Why are you nice? Now, how WOGY-WD-BNOS means that is a mystery to me. I think it's actually supposed to be more Why would you be nice? but I am still unclear on the G in WOGY.

I've also included a post-it note where she came up with the word "dinosaur" and a post-it note she used to copy words out of the aforementioned baby board book about farm animals. (Should be mentioned, she knows how to spell mom, dad, Evie, Max, you and I).

(on right) Here's Evie's note where she copied words out of the farm animal board book. This copying exercise is what really kicked off writing her own note shown above...

She also attempted to write all her numbers (from memory), I've never seen her write numbers before. She recognizes them and can count up to 100 (up to 20 in spanish!) but she's never written them before.




No comments: