Monday, May 16, 2011

1st Full Day Home: Day 5 "Of Life"

Highlights:

* Last night we were home by 6PM due to an extreme late check-out. The OB checked on me late (by 2PM). But it was the pediatrician that was the real hold-up. She called the wrong back-up or forget entirely (I forget the excuse) and some strange old dude 2 weeks shy of retirement came at 5PM. Ugh. I wish I had more time to expand on what a jerk this guy was...

* Davis dropped off Evie by 6PM. We were almost completely settled after a 30 minute flurry around the house... unpacking, setting up the pack-n-play in our room, setting up a temporary diaper station in our bathroom, getting my nursing & poop/pee chart set-up to fill-out all night, etc.
When Evie arrived, she marched right over to Schwally and rubbed his head. I breathed a sigh of relief.

* Rob looked up every local pharmacy for my meds... all closed at 6PM on a Sunday - great. He found a Walgreens we never attend and packed up Evie to hit the road for both my meds and the grocery store. Evie wasn't happy about it (she wanted to stay with me) but we managed to get her into the car. They were gone 6:30-7:30PM. I nursed at this time and was later able to "hang" with Evie during a bedtime show. Rob put her down by 8:15PM. I was in bed by 8:20PM.... phew!

* Rob picked-up the boy to nuzzle him after changing his diaper and putting on a super cute snap-up footie-jammie outfit. This started off a chain reaction that involved Max having a complete, inconsolable breakdown. I finally got up out of bed realizing Rob was in way over his head. He was in Max's room with the door closed trying his damnedest but... I had to jump in.
I ended up nursing again at 9:00PM. We talked about how I'd get up for the next feeding at 12AM. I finish up and go back to bed at 9:30PM.
Rob holds Max and he goes off again like a siren shortly after I lay my head down. I wake-up and nurse AGAIN at 10PM. I nurse till 10:30PM and we talk about how Rob should crash, too... and I'd get up again at 1AM.
We both crawl into bed... and now its 11PM. At 11:20PM, Max sounds his siren AGAIN! What is this? Rob picks him up and tries his best to sooth him to no avail. I take deep breathes and get up to nurse... AGAIN. What else can one do? Max barely stays on for very long and is really just pacifying... so I put him back down. We change him to realize he needed changing and that the footie-jammies Rob chose were NOT the best choice for nighttime. Too many damned snaps for dim light and fumbling fingers.
I take Max out of this tight velcro-wrap number we tried to put him in (a swaddler)... and wrap him up the good 'ole fashioned way - in a receiving blanket. I put him on his side and out he goes....

* I wake-up at 2:30AM (3hrs later) and get set-up for Max to wake. He doesn't. I question waking him. I don't. I close my eyes.
I wake-up again at 3:30AM... I pick-up Max and he stirs pretty quickly. The 4 hour break in between nursing was great!
I change him and put him back down... I let Rob sleep. He's been a busy, amazing dad the last few days, too.

* I wake-up at 7AM and slowly rub Rob's back so he can wake-up gently. I warn him that Evie, the tornado, will be in here any minute and I'd rather be the one to wake him up softly... I think he appreciates this.
I grab Max to feed him and boom! Here's Evie! :-)
Evie and Rob share breakfast while Max & I do, too.

* I change Max after his morning feeding to find a poo that must have happened at some point between the most recent feeding and now. I wipe off his butt and... (you might want to censor the kids at this part), he projectile poopies on me. As soon as the wipe hit his butt it was like poking at someone's cheeks full of water... out it squirts all over me, the receiving blanket, his jammies, the diaper... even our comforter on the bed falls victim. The bed is maybe 2 feet from the pack-n-play, such distance! Sheesh! I yell, "Uh, Rob? I need a little help here please!" (I had only walked over with 1 wipe in hand... Rob comes over with just 1 more wipe in hand. I laugh at him). Squirt! He poos AGAIN and now its a real mess! Then, and I am NOT LYING, he fountain pees up over his own shoulder and all over the place. Everything's soaked.
Thankfully we both found all this completely entertaining and laughed at knowing he probably won't be going again for awhile.
Rob looks at me and says, "Well, everything works!"

* Evie gets off to school and I nurse again around 9AM so that I can go back to bed. I nap for 45 minutes. Sadly, I also have to get up by 11AM to take Max to his first pediatrician visit at 1:30PM. Such. Crap. I wanted this first full day to myself and in this bed. Rob wakes me and I shower & do my make-up in record time... its funny how quickly a woman can do things when she really has to. I also eat half my Subway sandwich from yesterday and get a few things organized before the next nursing.
I pick-up Max by 12PM and we nurse. We pick out a cute doggie outfit, dress him up, fold laundry and grab our things to head out the door at 1PM.

* Doctor stats: He now weighs 7lbs 12oz. This is great considering he was 7lbs 10oz just 2 days ago... which is ALSO good cause he weighed 8lbs 1oz at birth. He didn't drop too much weight and is already gaining - all good news! He's a champ!
No shots and we must return in 1 more week.
Max fusses a little but is easily comforted by dad at the doctor's office - warms my heart. We decide to throw him in the car and nurse at home. Max looks out the window on the ride home and is content. This is all so different from when we had Evie... I recall her being less "go-with-the-flow" then what this little guy has demonstrated so far.
We are home by 2:30PM.
I feed Max and we change an explosive diaper... and I get pee'd on again.
I set up everything for dinner and organize just a few things.
I get into bed by 3:30PM for a nap and am up by 4:45PM when Rob needs to go pick-up Evie from school.
I feed Max quick before Evie gets home..

* Evie comes home from school wanting to see Max and turns to me, unprompted, "Mommy, I love him so much. And I love YOU!" I fight back tears... I'm doing cartwheels internally.
I put Max in his bouncy seat (Evie helps me move it, buckle him in and rubs his head).
Evie and I play a few rounds of "Go Fish!" while Rob makes dinner.
Fast forward through a great dinner (no arguments and Evie ate everything! We prepared a meal all by ourselves with a newbie in the house! What an amazing successful day this is!).
Rob plays with Evie while I clean-up the kitchen.
Rob bathes Evie while I feed Max.
Evie pulls up next to me on the couch for a show while Rob naps in a chair.

* I let Rob continue to nap and put Max back in his bouncey seat. I brush Evie's teeth and read her two books... two activities I have not down in many days. She actually wanted Rob (which makes me feel good that she likes daddy doing these activities with her) but doesn't put up too much of a fight when I tell her it will be me putting her to sleep while daddy rests.
Two books later, a kiss good-night and out go the lights.

So where am I now? I ate some amazing chocolate desert my mom made for me while she & my dad were here watching Evie. I changed into my jammies, washed off my face and decided to post this blog while I had the free time...
Next I'm going to wake-up Max for a feeding by 9:30PM and go straight to bed.
I remember bedtime being such a downer when we had Evie. Its hard going to sleep so early and to change your life so much to accommodate this small baby who wakes you up from a deep slumber all night. I must admit, so far, I do not hold it against him like I did with Evie ... but it is also only 5 days in. Maybe that resentment builds over time... I hope not. Things are moving at such a smooth pace that I am crossing my fingers on both hands that this continues like this. Crossing them... REAL TIGHTLY, in fact.

No comments: