Monday, March 01, 2010

Official: Potty Trained

Two months to the day (we started on January 1 and today's March 1), I feel confident enuff to say Evie is officially trained (age: 2yrs +8mos).
The biggest hurdle for us was "Go poop in the potty!" but she seems to have seriously "suddenly got it."
She has bee pooping in the potty at home "OK" for the last 3 weeks but she never would do it at the sitter's (the sitter's house... the biggest hurdle of them all). Tears and fits would last for LITERALLY HOURS before she'd finally "go" but she would poop on the potty for us. In all honesty, the sitter has about 5 babies and just doesn't have the time to give Evie the individual attention required for her 4 hour poop hysterias. Who can blame her?
But, after pooping in her pull-up during naptime last week Friday (at the sitter's house) she developed a very painful diaper rash on her butt cheeks. She cried when she slide off a chair and cried while being forced to sit in the tub. I explained up and down why she had the sore butt. Medicine would help but she just had to go poop in the potty or is would happen again.
Saturday night Rob suggested she try and go poop (this kid's a fart machine). She said "No, I can not!" a popular Evie phrase when she doesn't want to do something. But, moments later she shoo'ed Rob out of the bathroom and just as quickly called him back in announcing she had done it! Yeah!
On Sunday Evie jumped out of her chair mid-breakfast announcing, "I got to go poop." She told us to go away and did everything herself! A few hours later, same thing! Well, actually she ran and brought her little potty to me in my new bathroom so I could enjoy it with her, apparently. She told me, "Two poos!" and up she hopped!

So, I am proud to say - Evie's "potty training" story is finally closed and is a success. I'm not saying there won't be drawbacks... but I am starting to go places with no back-up's (emergency/spare pants and fresh pull-up) in hand.Evie goes sans pull-ups all day now and even wakes us should she accidentally pee at night. This kid is TOPS!

:-)

No comments: