Monday, September 22, 2008

Hummmmm....

Evie was at the sitter's house tonight which makes for a rather ready-to-go-to-bed with little-or-no-fight kid.
I got Evie's jammies on (Fussing and crying, of course. She knows what this process means) and we brushed out teeth. A cup of water and some time on mom's lap while we enjoy 3 or 4 books.
Evie is laying on me like a lump so I know more books are not needed or required tonight. I ask her for a hug and flip her over.
"Gung, gung, gung!" Evie is into making this sound with her throat. Its a humming based sound that sounds like she is saying "gung" with her mouth closed. I haven't a clue. Either she needs to be checked out or she's a typical 1 year old. I can't say it hasn't gotten me completely concerned.
Evie was pointing to the light-up turtle and reminding me that we needed to turn him on. A crucial step in the going-to-bed process we created.
I hugged her anyways and asked for a hug. She eventually gave in and leaned her cheek against mine. I hummed a light tune... something to the effect of "oh, what a nice hug" kind of hum.
She giggled.
I hummed a bit louder.
She giggled more. I giggle hummed.
She did that super-cute giggle that you see on TV commercials. That giggle squeal sound only little kids make.
My humming was tickling her belly or her cheek - both were pressed against me.
I hummed really low and really high.
We both giggled.
This made my whole night happy.
1 year olds notice the coolest things we forgot about as adults.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You just described a toddler, not a baby. I am missing so much.