Thursday, February 08, 2007

Dear Baby Ullman,

In one more week we will know what you are - boy or girl. Finally, we will stop calling you "it".

I'm still in disbelief that you already look like our baby, only much too small for me to want to actually hold you.
Do you have my red hair or dad's brow? Do you have my mush nose or dad's strong chin? Will your hands be cold like mine or hot like dad's? Will you be good at managing things like me or excel at remember odd factoids like dad?

One things is for sure - you will be pale all your life thanks to both of us. I'm apologizing, in advance, for all that sunscreen you'll be complaining about before I let you go outside. I hated it, too.
You will also be tall and scrawny while you grow up. You may not always like this, but you'll appreciate it later on in life when you don't have to worry about weight as much as some of your friends.
You will look like you need sleep much of the time, thanks to both dad and I with our puffy eyes.
On the positive side of things, you will have awesome, strong shoulders (I am not looking forward to labor cause of this). Both mom and dad have never needed shoulder pads.
You'll also never worry about hair loss - we both have good genes for full heads of hair. Although, I can't promise that you won't have a ridiculous receeding hairline the older you get - we also both have genes for large foreheads.
You might have moles (thanks, dad!) or freckles (thanks, mom!) but if you get really bad acne in your teens - I promise you that we will take you to a dermotologist. Both dad and I remember how akward Jr. High really was and we have both agreed to do our best to make it as painless on you as possible. With that being said, we can't help with the glasses - no contacts till you're ready for the responsibilty. You might be OK in this department - dad and I are both good at personal resposibility.

There's a few things I want you to know now before you get here. A few things you'll learn along the way but the sooner you are up-to-speed, the better. I'm a basketcase of worry. I'm just letting you know up front. My mother was a worrier so I think I acquired this annoying habit from her. Its straight from good intentions and love, so please be kind with me if I over ask you things or question what you are doing. Patience with me is key. Incidentally - patience is another one of my shortcomings. I may push you to succeed and to try hard at big things. Again, its only because I am your biggest fan and want you to grab the world by the tail. Just remind me if I get too smothering. Its all I ask. We are both going to be learning things as we go along.

I also want you to know that dad will be taking over for me once you are out and about in the real world. Carrying you around the first 9 months is hard work but watching out for you - out in the world - will be a lot more work! He's going to be good at it though, you needn't worry. Dad is very good with kids and understands when to take charge. He'll give you the space you need and he'll play with you often (You're pretty lucky. I have to be up front and tell you, kids just love your dad). I didn't really have a great relationship with my dad (he traveled all days of the week) and I have always regretted it. And most kids end up going to daycare when they are little. We can't afford it (we'll teach you about money when you are old enough... its pretty difficult to fully understand and honetsly, most adults I know still don't understand it either). Daycare is an OK place to be (its fun to hang out with other kids your age) but I think staying at home with dad all to yourself - is simply the best! You'll soon see for yourself.

We'll be having many more talks in the future - but these are just some of the things that float to mind today. I think the sooner we start communicating - the better. So, you do the same and tell me what's going on once in awhile, OK?

Until later, I love you,
mom

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mommy forgot to mention your Aunt Natalie who's kinda crazy but fun, like your mommy, and who will have all sorts of fun stories to tell you about your mommy when you are ready. . .Can't wait to meet you!

Brooke Ullman said...

Mommy also wants you to know that Aunt Natalie has an NC-17 rating when it comes to her stories about me so you two may not connect for awhile. She is, however, allowed to hold you, give you hugs and lie to you the first few years.

Anonymous said...

Brooke-
This is such a beautiful letter to your baby. Very truthful and very sweet. Once again, congratulations!

Brooke Ullman said...

Aunt Natalie will never be a blogger (which is good for us), besides, I have many stories on her, too. ;-)
Thanks for the compliments all. I hope I can actually say thing like this to her and not just let moments pass by.