Thursday, January 12, 2012

Eye test: checking one, two, three...


So Evie had an eye test performed at her pre-K school this past September. The results revealed that she did not pass the cornea test (I honestly couldn't make heads or tails of the results they sent home with her. All it was was a b&w photo of her eyes up close with a bunch of small green dots in the center of one eye and small red dots in the other. I assumed the red dots was on the eye that flunked).
I didn't race to the eye doctor after getting these results mid-October but, rather, dawdled until mid-December.
Turns out my eye doctors doesn't see anyone under the age of 5... And, at this point, I'm still contemplating the seriousness of this test considering Evie passed her 4 year old check-up eye test (through her pediatrician) just 6 months prior... My eye doctor gives me the contact info for the Eye Institute. I call, and to fast forward a bit, the secretary makes me a little stressed with her comment about not being able to get me in until mid-December... But she'll call if something earlier comes up. I thought, "Do I NEED to get in earlier?!"
I took a half-day off of work, pulled Evie out of school early and away we went for her eye test.
The assistant made Evie put on 3D glasses and point to circles that popped out before her eyes, wear a patch over each eye to read a chart and look at colored lights & flashing lights before sending in the actual doctor. My favorite part? The assistant asks Evie to read an eye chart... "D-V-O-S-C," she confidentially replies. The assistant looks hesitant. I tell her, "You didn't tell her what order to read the letters..." the assistant walks to the wall and points to each letter left-to-right, Evie replies, "D-O-S-V-C."
Oh Evie...
Fast forward to the end - her eye sight is so good she doesn't need to return to an eye doctor for at least 5 years. In fact, he added, if they continue being THIS good... She won't need eye care till about age 43. I rejoice. I then add, so why the flunked test? Turns out, they crank up the warning levels on the freebie tests at the school just for liability reasons. And Evie flunking? Her eyes are crooked! The doctor looks at me, "Like yours," he adds,"Only yours are opposite."
Huh, go figure...

No comments: